Organization of internships
The internship carried out during the studies on the practical profile is one of the most important elements of the curriculum. It provides an important complement and development of the theoretical and practical content discussed in classes. During internship in selected organisations, students develop their knowledge, skills and social competences with regard to specific problems and issues faced by organisations.
Internship is also an important asset on the labour market when graduates are looking for their first job. Through such apprenticeship, graduates are better prepared for future work.
Its objectives include:
- practical preparation for the profession, including the ability to apply the knowledge acquired in a professional capacity
- formation of skills necessary for future professional work, including, i.a.: analytical skills, organisational skills
- working in a team, establishing contacts, conducting negotiations, as well as preparing the student to be independent and responsible for entrusted tasks,
- acquainting the Students with the specificity of the professional environment, the principles of operation of economic and social entities, governmental and local government bodies and other organisational units in the economic and social life, deepening knowledge of individual branches of the economy,
- acquaintance with the technique of keeping records at individual workstations,
- learning about the principles of work organisation, organisational structures, division of competences,
- gaining experience, knowledge of the labour market and the skills required at work, as well as self-assessment of the Student's skills in order to increase their ability to compete effectively in the labour market,
- creating conditions for professional activation of Students in the labour market.
An additional purpose of the apprenticeship may be to collect materials and data useful for the implementation of the objectives of a research work, including an undergraduate/engineering or master's thesis.
How many hours should I complete as part of my internship?
The duration of the internship is:
- for first-cycle studies: 6 months, with no less than 900 hours and 30 ECTS credits,
- for second-cycle studies: 3 months, with no less than 450 hours and 15 ECTS credits.
How and when to start an internship?
- The internship must be completed by the end of the last semester of studies. However, it is not necessary to wait until the end of the studies before starting it. This means that students in lower semesters may already start the internship. In this case, credit may be given earlier, but a formal entry in the protocol along with the grade is not made until the final semester.
- The internship that is not entered into the CloudA system is not taken into account and is not credited.
- The internship may be carried out in several places, so the above number of hours may be completed in more than one institution.
- Internship can be carried out in two ways: standard - where the Student is accepted on the basis of a referral to the or an agreement with the employer.
- For professional activity - the student may be credited with::
- work performed on the basis of an employment relationship
- work performed under a civil law relationship
- an apprenticeship which the student completed as a student or graduate of another higher education institution and which meets the requirements of the syllabus for a given field of study
- internship in domestic or foreign enterprises completed (currently in progress) by students, guaranteeing the acquisition of relevant practical skills - as long as the type of activity or work corresponds to the purpose of the internship and ensures the fulfilment of the established internship programme.
- In order to start a standard internship, the student must select the internship tab in the CloudA system and enter the place where the internship will be carried out and the number of hours that will be completed in the institution. A start and end date is also required. If the Student will be seeking credit for work experience (e.g. employment) towards the internship, the start and end date of the contract must be entered (if the employment continues, the end date should not be entered).
What documents are necessary for the internship?
- Wyższa Szkoła Biznesu - National Louis University obliges Students to submit all documents related to the internship in an online form, which means that documents confirming the internship will not be accepted in paper form. Their submission is done by uploading scans of this documentation to the CloudA system.
- An internship logbook is not currently required, however, if the place where the internship is carried out requests such a document, the university may issue one at the student's request. Nevertheless, it is not required to send a scan of the internship logbook during the final verification.
- The Student independently requests the documents he or she will need in order to start the placement. In the case of an internship, this can be:
- internship referral
- internship agreement
- internship contract.
One of the above documents must be selected. It is not necessary to apply for all three. In the case of an activity-based internship, the student is required to select the activity-based internship application.
Where to do an internship?
In the Management and Computer Science course, Students may undertake an internship in organisations provided by the University, in locations proposed by Students (according to the rules set out in the Internship Regulations) or seek to include work experience in place of an internship (according to the rules set out in the Internship Regulations).
Internship - postgraduate studies
The student independently chooses the internship placement location. The University has an agreement with several institutions, so in a situation when help is needed to organise a placement, the Student may ask for help from the Internship Supervisor in the given field of study (Management - MA Krzysztof Dyrek, Computer Science - MA Katarzyna Homoncik, Psychology - MA Magdalena Wajda, Director of the Institute of Diagnostics, Opinions and Psychological Support of the WSB-NLU).
I have an internship placement and what next?
- If required, the University, at the request of the Student, can issue: a referral to the internship, an agreement to organise the internship or an agreement to carry out the internship. These documents are requested by the Student through the CloudA system and can be collected at the WSB-NLU Dean's Office. They can also be sent to the Student's e-mail address or to the address of residence indicated by the Student (after paying postage costs).
- Once the internship has been entered into the CloudA system, the substantive major supervisor carries out an initial verification. If accepted, the student is informed that the internship has been successfully verified and can proceed to prepare the documents to complete the internship.
- Credit for the internship is based on the submission to CloudA of scans of all the documents mentioned above (referral/agreement/application) and the submission of an internship report, which must be generated in the CloudA system and completed. The student enters the actual activities undertaken in this report. The University does not propose specific tasks during the implementation of the professional practice.
- The entity at which the internship has been completed confirms on the report with its signature and name stamp (company stamp) the fact that the internship has been completed and issues an opinion on the apprentice in the form of an evaluation of the course of the internship (these evaluations are generated on page 2 of the report).
- Credit for the internship is given by the Internship Supervisor for the major.
Brief instructions for adding an internship in CloudA (internship tab).
- Familiarise yourself with the Internship Regulations (Useful Links section).
- Fill in the required fields in the add internship form (add internship button on the left). Remember that the practice should be compatible with your field of study.
- Wait for the internship to be verified.
- If you indicated in the addition of internship form:
- standard practice:
- Collect from the Dean's Office the signed documents required by the institution/employer where you are doing your internship. If requested by the student, the documents can be sent;
- Complete the missing data in the documents received;
- Obtain at the chosen institution all the signatures required in the documents;
- Upload scans of the documents signed by the Institution (agreement/contract/internship referral) to the CloudA system before the internship starts;
- After completing the internship, complete the report in CloudA, then save it (but do not yet complete the internship).
- internship based on work experience:
- Print out the internship credit application;
- Complete the missing data and sign the document;
- Scan the completed and signed application and then upload it to the CloudA system;
- Upload confirmation of your employment (in the case of self-employment, a copy of the CEiDG) to the CloudA system;
- Complete the report in CloudA, then save it (but do not finish the internship yet);
- standard practice:
- Print the report and complete the signatures, then upload the scan to the CloudA system.
- Submit internship for verification (Finish button) and wait for approval from the WSB-NLU Internship Supervisor.
How to correctly add an internship in Cloud Academy™ (CloudA)?